Re: [SG10] Feature test macros: always available, or in a header?

From: Richard Smith <richard_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 17:25:33 -0700
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM, John Spicer <jhs_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'm not personally fond of that direction.
>
> At least for EDG, and I suspect others, the set of feature supported is
> going to depend on command-line options, which would mean that we'd have to
> define one set of macros (or something) to allow the <features> header to
> define another set. It also makes it more likely that you could have a
> <features> file that doesn't actually match what the compiler does.

Since our names are reserved identifier, an implementation can predefine
them and provide a <features> which does nothing.

This allows feature test macros to be provided (a) with no compiler
changes, (b) retroactively for an implementation which was released prior
to our recommendations (provide a <features> which checks the compiler and
version, and use -D__cpp_lib_header_features), and (c) with (essentially)
zero cost for programs which do not use the macros. This also happens to be
standardizing existing practice ;-)

That said, I agree with Clark that quantifying the cost in (c) would be
useful. I have informally heard that this cost is measurable (especially
for things like configure scripts which build a large number of tiny
programs), but I've never seen numbers.