Re: [SG10] First draft recommendation for C++14

From: Richard Smith <richard_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 23:37:30 -0700
On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 05/03/2013 11:34 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> > This looks like a great start.
> >
> > 1) Clang has separate __has_feature(X) and __has_extension(X) macros.
> > The former determines whether the feature is available as part of the
> > enabled language standard in the current compilation, and the latter
> > determines whether it's available (possibly as an extension) in the
> > current compilation. The difference is that use of __has_extension(X)
> > features may generate warnings (and, with -Werror or
> > -pedantic-errors, may generate errors).
> >
> > Which of these is the behavior we want for these feature-test macros?
> > In my experience, __has_feature(X) is what you want when determining
> > whether to use a language feature in normal code, but
> > __has_extension(X) is what you want when determining whether to use a
> > language feature in a system header.
>
> I would expect that a system header tried hard to avoid warnings or
> errors?

Typically, warnings are suppressed in system headers, so they're free to
(and often do) use any facilities we provide as an extension without
worrying about users seeing diagnostics.

> Why would it use __has_extension(X) with the semantics described
> above, then?

Because it wants to provide extra functionality (for instance, move
constructors) even when building in a language which doesn't officially
support that functionality.