C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] UB

From: Hans Boehm <boehm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 14:52:10 -0700
As has been pointed out in some similar discussion, it's a bit tricky to
define precisely what it means to "occur before an operation that has UB".
I suspect we mostly mean "strongly happens before", but that leaves
questions about where UB occurs. If I have

volatile int v;
int j= 1, k = 5;
for (unsigned i = 0; i != 317; i += 14) {
  ++j;
}
for (unsigned i = 0; i != 317; i += 14) {
  ++k;
  v = i;
}

and the compiler merges the two loops, as intended, does that violate the
concrete interpretation? The variable v is (incorrectly) updated, (long)
before the first loop fails to terminate, and thus has UB(?)

And if we do mean something like "strongly happens before", we probably
also need some argument that "important" compiler transformations don't
reorder synchronization operations and UB, though I expect that statement
to be as sound as your existing claims.

We presumably also need to be clear that data races "occur" at both
accesses.

Hans