C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] UB

From: Andrew Tomazos <andrewtomazos_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 00:53:09 +1000
The relevant passage from the C++ standard is [intro.abstract]/4:

"A conforming implementation executing a well-formed program shall produce
the same observable behavior as one of the possible executions of the
corresponding instance of the abstract machine with the same program and
the same input. However, if any such execution contains an undefined
operation, this document places no requirement on the implementation
executing that program with that input (*not even with regard to operations
preceding the first undefined operation*)."
https://eel.is/c++draft/intro.abstract#4

So this uses what N3128 refers to as the abstract interpretation.

Changing to the concrete interpretation would render numerous existing
practice compiler optimizations non-conformant as N3128 points out.

N3128 claims that such optimizations do not provide significant benefit in
practice:

"While the concrete interpretations seems to substantially limit the
optimizations that can be performed relative to the abstract interpretation
of UB, the difference is actually very small and does not seem to affect
common optimizations (such as the one in the example above)."

An example of evidence to support this claim would be empirical analysis of
an implementation with abstract interpretation optimizations turned on and
off and run against a wide range of profiled production programs, showing
that the performance improvement is indeed very small.