C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [+externe Mail+] Re: [isocpp-core] Ignorability of attributes: draft wording, and concern about __has_c_attribute

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 23:16:46 +0200
On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 at 23:13, Uecker, Martin
<Martin.Uecker_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > > The initial situation may be so that the oddball compiler doesn't
> > > support the attribute without a warning.
> > > So there's a need to detect when it stops complaining, but it might
> > > never change to say "I accept it
> > > and implement its recommended practice".
> >
> > Thank you. I think I get it now: has_attribute needs
> > to return '1' once the compiler stops complaining
> > to be able to detect the *change* in behavior.
> >

> No sorry. I still don't get it. Even if
> has_attribute changes from 0 to 202003L or
> somthing, you would transition from a no warning
> scenario to another no warning scenario when
> compiling the project hat uses feature detection.
>
> So you still do not get notified about the
> fact that the odd-ball compiler now does not
> warn anymore about the attribute.

Notified? Right, you don't get notified, but you can just notice
yourself that the feature detection is no longer
needed, so you can clean up your code by removing it.

And yes, this is a desire of lesser importance and lesser urgency, and
doesn't need to be a part of __has_c_attribute or __has_cpp_attribute.