C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] Comments on P2569 *_HAS_SUBNORM==0 implies what?

From: Aaron Ballman <aaron_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 07:30:44 -0400
On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 4:59 AM Jens Maurer via Liaison
<liaison_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This appears to be an ill-formed submission to WG21.

Of sorts.

> The paper does not contain (in its text) the WG21 paper number, and
> it does not contain an e-mail address to contact the author, let
> alone an author name (or a list thereof).

I've CCed Fred Tydeman who is the author for the paper. Fred is a WG14
member who had a liaison question he wanted discussed by SG6
(specifically) and SG22 (potentially), and so I asked him to add his
paper to the WG21 document log (which I helped him do). That's why
it's not in the form of a typical WG21 paper, but it's also not yet
expecting there to be changes in WG21 -- this paper exists just for
coordinating direction efforts for the moment. This is not the first
(nor will it be the last) liaison paper to not follow a committee's
more typical templates, so let's be sure to give people who are
unfamiliar with norms some space for these kinds of minor issues.

Fred, if there's another revision of your paper, please make sure your
contact info is listed in the document itself and try to have all
relevant document numbers in the paper itself (and I'm sorry for not
catching this when I submitted the paper for you).

> Furthermore, the C++ standard defers the *_HAS_SUBNORM macros
> entirely to C; the only mention is in [cfloat.syn]:
>
> "The header <cfloat> defines all macros the same as the C standard
> library header <float.h>."
>
> Given the apparent continued absence of interest in the details of
> floating-point from C++, any changes here seem to be entirely in
> the realm of WG14.

I assume WG21 would appreciate more collaboration with WG14 in this
area, especially given the existence of a numerics study group in
WG21. Fred is a core member of the C Floating Point study group, so it
seems like a good exercise to go through. Also, I disagree that WG21
has a continued absence of interest in the details of floating-point
given https://wg21.link/p1467; it seems like WG21 is wading rather
directly into that space these days.

~Aaron