C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] [isocpp-lib-ext] P2264/N2829 make assert() macro user friendly was adopted for C23

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 23:06:32 +0100
I'm against piecemeal upgrading of C++ to C23 by near-copying
of normative text from the C23 standard library.

Since C++ does not show the funny function-like declaration from C

void assert(scalar expression)

but instead shows

#define assert(E) see below

where it's obvious that embedded commas might not do what you expect,
I think the "bug fix" argument falls on its face: C++ simply
has never accepted an arbitrary (phase 7) expression here, but only
one that is lexically preprocessor-friendly.

If you want to base C++26 on C23, then start writing a paper NOW,
as a first step showing an itemized list of differences C17 -> C23
so that L/EWG can form an opinion which features they want in C++.

Do you have any evidence of a paper falling between the cracks
since we've installed the github paper tracker?

Jens