C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] grammar cleanup

From: Jens Gustedt <jens.gustedt_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 10:36:26 +0200
Martin,

on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:52:41 +0000 you ("Uecker, Martin"
<Martin.Uecker_at_[hidden]>) wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 27.04.2021, 09:43 +0200 schrieb Jens Gustedt via
> Liaison:

> > Another field of concern could be selection and iteration statements
> > where C++ has expanded the grammar by adding the possibility of
> > declaring variables, similar as to `for`. I personally like that
> > feature very much, but I wouldn't know if WG14 is ready for it,
> > yet.
>
> I would also like such a feature and it seems simple and
> unproblematic.

Ok, thanks, and I agree with your assessment for the C standard
itself. I am still struggling when I try to anticipate what WG14 could
be willing to accept. (But this is probably a good thing.)

> > In any case it would be good to know if these changes in C++ have
> > introduced other changes in the grammar for these constructs,
> > similar to what we have seen for the subscript operator.
> >
> > I personally would find it a good thing if we could change all
> > controlling expressions of selection and iteration statements to
> > "conditional-expression". Yes, this would be change that would
> > invalidate some existing code, but in a good way ;-) Using a comma
> > operator or assignment then would be a hard error and it would be
> > easy for programmers to update their code.
>
> I agree, we should think about deprecating these.

So you would more go the route of depreciation than fixing it directly
in the grammar?

In any case, such a thing would be better done in sync with C++. C++
still has "condition" there, which for the intersection with C
translates to "expression".

Any thoughts from WG21 on this?

Thanks
Jā‚‘ā‚™ā‚›

--
:: INRIA Nancy Grand Est ::: Camus ::::::: ICube/ICPS :::
:: ::::::::::::::: office Strasbourg : +33 368854536   ::