C++ Logo

liaison

[wg14/wg21 liaison] Constructive discussions

From: David Keaton <dmk_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 19:28:13 -0700
      Because I have received an objection to the tone of part of a
discussion here, I thought I would share a comment that I sometimes make
at the beginning of WG 14 meetings.

      To honor the spirit of our codes of conduct, it helps to remember
that our choice of words matters. For example, if I say that a proposal
is stupid, I am bringing heat with no light. If I say that I disagree
with it because I believe it is error-prone (and I explain why I believe
it is error-prone), then I am being informative rather than derisive.

      A derisive tone, even if later followed by an informative
statement, can reduce the effectiveness of communication. It can often
cause the technical content of our part of a discussion to be overlooked.

      One tool that can help is that if we feel an urgent need to post
something immediately, it may be a sign that more emotion is involved
than would be helpful. In that case, delaying our post by 24 hours can
help ensure that we honor the spirit of our codes of conduct.

     David

P.S. As a reminder, here are the codes of conduct as posted by Herb
earlier.

     ISO: https://www.iso.org/publication/PUB100397.html
     IEC: https://www.iec.ch/basecamp/iec-code-conduct-technical-work
     WG21: