C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] Multidimensional subscript operator

From: will wray <wjwray_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 18:31:26 -0400
Thanks for the responses Jens.

(A note that, of course, the issue doesn't come up in C -
 so drifting off topic for a Liaison discussion....
 Lack of language reference forces explicit pointer use
 or, implicitly decayed pointer, with all its peril.)

> The problem is not that [] on some type returns a proxy-reference

Agree. It's about expectations - without having to check contracts.
Nothing is broken now. This proposal will break expectations.
(i...)-indexing is expected to return a proxy,
[i]-indexing is expected to return lvalue.
Let's not mess with that.

> returning a proxy vs. returning a language lvalue is not an
> important distinction to make for day-to-day usage.

It shouldn't be.
And it generally isn't, until it is, and then it's a hard-to-find bug.

> If you believe otherwise, please show some examples.

There isn't a problem with direct use, a[i] = value
(I think... hard to be sure nowadays.)
The issue is generic passing of the returned type.
("generic" appears 10 times in P2128, as motivation).
decltype(auto) is needed to deal with lvalue or proxy.
Nobody uses decltype(auto) everywhere. Or, few know to:

    auto e = a[i]; // incorrect for lvalue
                   // - correct for proxy

    auto& e = a[i]; // retains lvalueness
                    // fails for proxy rvalue

    auto&& e = a[i]; // retains lvalueness
                     // suboptimal for proxy

    decltype(auto) e = a[i]; // recommended?

> only works for overloaded operators

and for aggregates, right (this is Liaison list, remember).