C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] C memory object model study group - uninitialised reads and padding

From: JF Bastien <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:54:20 -0700
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 11:40 AM Peter Sewell <Peter.Sewell_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> [...]
> respects (which we do not detail here), we focus on what the semantics
> _should be_, and especially on the constraints on it that arise from
> practice, rather than on what the current standard text says.
>
> C and C++ should ideally be closely aligned for all this, but here we
> focus just on the C case. We also don't discuss the ongoing LLVM work on
> freeze and poison.
>
> - there are some cases where it has to be deemed an error to read a
> specific object representation, e.g. to let some implementations trap -
> these cases are now rare, but they include signalling NaNs and perhaps
> other exotic number formats.
>
> - there are some cases where it has to be deemed an error to operate on
> the result of a read of a specific object representation - primarily _Bool
> and floating-point cases - but where we have a free choice whether to deem
> it an error to read or write them
>
> - it would be reasonable to require implementations to document the cases
> where they do each of the above
>
> - in most cases, reading uninitialised values or padding should be deemed
> an error. We return below to what exactly that should mean, but first
> consider the exceptions.
>
> - copying partially initialised structs has to be allowed (either by an
> explicit struct read&write, or implicitly as a struct function argument or
> return value).
>
> - it's unclear whether copying partially initialised structs
> member-by-member has to be allowed. We tentatively assume not.
>
> - we see no programmer use-case for the current ISO address-taken
> exception (leaving representation-byte accesses aside), so we can remove
> that (though we may wish to check that whatever semantics we end up with
> admits Itanium NaT-like behaviour in case future architectures do that).
>
> - reading the representation bytes of uninitialised automatic storage
> duration variables and malloc'd regions has to be allowed, eg to support
> library or user memcpy of partially initialised structs (deferring what one
> knows about the results of such reads for a moment)
>
> - in ISO C, representation-byte accesses have to be at character
> types, but real code also relies on representation-byte accesses at larger
> types - this is likely rare, but we should support it in some way. There is
> also type-aliasing of matrices, relatively commonly.
>
> - reading the padding bytes of structs similarly has to be allowed, to
> support library or user memcpy
>
> - reading uninitialised representation bytes and padding bytes is also
> necessary for other bytewise polymorphic operations: memcmp, marshalling,
> encryption, and hashing (deferring what one knows about the results of
> such reads for a moment). It's not clear how generally these operations
> have to be supported, and we would like more data. Atomic cmpxchg on large
> structs, implemented with locks, would do a memcmp/memcpy combination (in
> fact is described as such in the standard).

For atomics with padding, C++20 adopted the following change (and I expect
that compilers will implement it in previous versions as well):
http://wg21.link/P0528

- for reads of uninitialised representation and padding bytes (they might