C++ Logo

liaison

[wg14/wg21 liaison] C memory object model study group - uninitialised reads and padding

From: Peter Sewell <Peter.Sewell_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 19:39:44 +0100
We'll continue with uninitialised reads on Thursday April 22 at
15:00 UTC = 4pm UK, 5pm Paris, 11am US east coast, 8am US west coast,
at the same meet: meet.google.com/viy-yzhu-tof

Below is a condensed summary of the design space as we see it so far
(taking some liberties for brevity and speed - we don't necessarily all
agree with everything here).

best,
Peter

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/C-memory-object-model-study-group/c-mom-sg/blob/master/notes/built_doc/cmom-0007-2021-04-08-clarifying-uninitialised-reads-v6.html

# Unitialised Reads v6: Summary

Peter Sewell, Jens Gustedt, Martin Uecker, Kayvan Memarian

2021-04-13

The semantics of uninitialised values and padding bytes in C has long been
a vexed question: there are many conceivable semantics, there are
conflicting demands and expectations, and the current standard text is not
clear about all aspects. This note summarises our view of the design space
following recent discussions in WG14 and in the C memory object model. To
keep this concise, we focus only on the design options as we see them now,
without examples or history.

As the existing standard (with its concepts of trap representation,
unspecified value, and indeterminate value) is problematic in various
respects (which we do not detail here), we focus on what the semantics
_should be_, and especially on the constraints on it that arise from
practice, rather than on what the current standard text says.

C and C++ should ideally be closely aligned for all this, but here we focus
just on the C case. We also don't discuss the ongoing LLVM work on freeze
and poison.

- there are some cases where it has to be deemed an error to read a
specific object representation, e.g. to let some implementations trap -
these cases are now rare, but they include signalling NaNs and perhaps
other exotic number formats.

- there are some cases where it has to be deemed an error to operate on the
result of a read of a specific object representation - primarily _Bool and
floating-point cases - but where we have a free choice whether to deem it
an error to read or write them

- it would be reasonable to require implementations to document the cases
where they do each of the above

- in most cases, reading uninitialised values or padding should be deemed
an error. We return below to what exactly that should mean, but first
consider the exceptions.

- copying partially initialised structs has to be allowed (either by an
explicit struct read&write, or implicitly as a struct function argument or
return value).

- it's unclear whether copying partially initialised structs
member-by-member has to be allowed. We tentatively assume not.

- we see no programmer use-case for the current ISO address-taken exception
(leaving representation-byte accesses aside), so we can remove that (though
we may wish to check that whatever semantics we end up with admits Itanium
NaT-like behaviour in case future architectures do that).

- reading the representation bytes of uninitialised automatic storage
duration variables and malloc'd regions has to be allowed, eg to support
library or user memcpy of partially initialised structs (deferring what one
knows about the results of such reads for a moment)

    - in ISO C, representation-byte accesses have to be at character types,
but real code also relies on representation-byte accesses at larger types -
this is likely rare, but we should support it in some way. There is also
type-aliasing of matrices, relatively commonly.

- reading the padding bytes of structs similarly has to be allowed, to
support library or user memcpy

- reading uninitialised representation bytes and padding bytes is also
necessary for other bytewise polymorphic operations: memcmp, marshalling,
encryption, and hashing (deferring what one knows about the results of
such reads for a moment). It's not clear how generally these operations
have to be supported, and we would like more data. Atomic cmpxchg on large
structs, implemented with locks, would do a memcmp/memcpy combination (in
fact is described as such in the standard).

- for reads of uninitialised representation and padding bytes (they might
not be treated identically, but we don't so far see any reason why not to),
and of any other uninitialised value that one doesn't deem to be programmer
errors, one could either:

    1. regard them as holding stable concrete values. This is inconsistent
with current behaviour for some compilers,

2. regard them as holding stable concrete values, but let implementations
nondeterministically read either those or zero. This would let programmers
control information flow via padding.

    3. regard them as holding wobbly values, but with a memcpy (or other
bytewise read and write) as concretising them to a nondeterministically
chosen concrete value in the target (we think this is ugly), or

    4. regard them as holding wobbly values that are propagated as wobbly
values by memcpy (or other bytewise read and write), and then either:

a. deem it to be a programmer error to operate on them in any way except
writing them, or

        b. propagate wobbliness through operations (including conversions),
except for UB where some concrete value would give UB (e.g. division by
zero, and perhaps control-flow choices), nondeterministically picking
concrete values only at external library calls (this is what Cerberus does
at present)

    In the wobbly-value options, for padding bytes, the wobbliness of the
source values could be either:

i. intrinsic to the padding locations - uninitialisable, whatever happens,
or

    ii. subject to being overwritten by explicit writes of non-wobbly
values to padding, but reset to wobbly by preceding-adjacent or
whole-struct writes.

- the point of the wobbly-value options is to admit implementation
behaviour while giving stronger guarantees for programmers than just "any
access of any uninitialised data is UB", for the cases where the latter is
necessary. One would not expect programmers to be intentionally
manipulating wobbly values in many circumstances, and they can be hard to
reason about.

- the answers to these questions determine e.g. whether one can memcpy a
partially initialised struct (perhaps containing padding) and then get a
guarantee that a memcmp would compare equal. It's unclear whether this is
a hard requirement for the semantics. Currently some tests suggest gcc may
guarantee it, and similarly clang for copy-and-compare, but not always if
there's also some arithmetic.

- we think it's important for the programmer to have some way to sanitise
padding, in cases where they have to exclude bad information flow. This
rules out the option (i) of padding bytes being intrinsically wobbly.

- all other cases (i.e., those that are neither representation-byte
accesses, padding-byte accesses, or partially initialised struct member
accesses) of reading uninitialised variables can be regarded as programmer
errors

- for these, we could either:

     x. make them always UB

     y. make them, at the implementation's per-instance choice, either a
compile-time or a runtime error (a trap or signal), or either

    p. an object-creation-time nondeterministic particular concrete value,
or

    q. a read-time nondeterministic particular concrete value, or

r. a wobbly value following 4a or 4b.

         This is a bit like the current ISO semantics for conversion,
6.3.1.3. This lets implementations detect and report errors wherever they
can, while somewhat limiting "surprising" optimisations arising from UB.
 (This approach could also be applied to some other UBs.)

     z. make them wobbly, with one of the above options 1-3. This wouldn't
permit desirable implementation error reporting.