C++ Logo

liaison

Re: [wg14/wg21 liaison] labels

From: Bjarne Stroustrup <bjarne_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 14:28:52 +0200
On 8/12/2020 12:05 PM, Uecker, Martin wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 12.08.2020, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Bjarne Stroustrup:
>> On 8/12/2020 11:39 AM, Uecker, Martin wrote:
>>> You are not programming in C I assume.
>>
>> You are right. It's a long time since I wrote (and generated) a lot of
>> C. Given my previous extensive experience with C and contribution to C,
>> I don't think that disqualifies me from commenting.
> This is not the question, but it may explain a different
> view on the importance of this change.

Possibly, but to me, "several people I talked to liked it" doesn't sound
like a solid argument for a change being important. That would be true
for both C and C++. I am still wondering how people could ever consider
this particular change sufficiently important to be worthwhile. Is there
a design rationale that I can consult?

Not all people in the C++ committee appreciate C/C++ compatibility, but
I think that most do, and I do. I'm all for C/C++ compatibility, but it
should be a two-way street. When considering changes to C++, the
implications to C are considered, typically by people with deep and
long-term knowledge of C, incl. people who write C compilers.