Re: BSI feedback on P1709R4 ("Graph Library")

From: Oliver Rosten <oliver.rosten_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:25:22 +0000
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for such a detailed reply. Re. the circuit diagram, it's not a
hypergraph I'm thinking of. It's a structure like this:

  a---W--->
 <---W---b

Every edge comes as a pair of partial edges. They have a shared weight, W,
as you'd expect from an undirected graph. But they also have independent
end-point data, labelled a, b). This is sufficient to properly model things
like electrical circuits. So this is a directed graph but with a particular
restriction that all edges come in pairs, but holding data such that I
don't think it's right to call it undirected (but it almost is!). I don't
know the right name for this structure, but I suspect a mathematician
would! This is part of my broader point: I really think we would benefit
from finding a willing participant from the mathematics community to keep
us on the straight and narrow!

I completely take your point about the origin of the STL. I certainly don't
desire an explicit coupling between something like unstructured span and
the graph library. However, I also have little doubt that knowing the shape
of unstructured span would greatly help the design of graph. It think it's
reasonable for development of these two things to happen concurrently.
Indeed, I've cc'd the first 4 authors of the mdspan paper (apologies if
I've not carried on far enough down the author list!).

Re. merging information from your two papers, I think this might help if
done judiciously. I find P1709 very hard to follow, despite having spent a
lot of time working with graphs!

Oliver