Re: BSI feedback on P1709R4 ("Graph Library")

From: Oliver Rosten <oliver.rosten_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:50:52 +0000
Some other things to add:

1. The electrical circuit example needs more explanation, and I think this
will highlight some deep issues around representing things which are
seemingly trivially graphs, as graphs in practice. In what sense is a
bog-standard resistor directed? I assume the reason that the graph is
directed is because current has a sign and in an undirected graph it
becomes ambiguous which way the current is flowing (also you may want
components like diodes). But the directed representation also has issues:
"can current flow from 'Vdd' to 'n0'?" should be immediately answerable
from the properties of Vdd and its edges. There are other ways to represent
an electrical circuit. One is as a directed graph but with incident edges
recorded - but iiuc, this is excluded from the latest version of the paper.
Alternatively, one could have a mathematical object, the name of which I
actually don't know: it looks like an undirected graph, but where each
partial edge has additional, unique, end-point data, as well as the common
weight. Things like this are the reason why I think we need a broader group
to look at this proposal (i.e. beyond SG19) and if we possibly can we
should involve someone from the mathematics community. Otherwise there's a
real danger we end up missing important insights.

2. My comment about the structure of the paper changing was a reference to
previous comparisons with boost::graph. I'm sure these were in an earlier
version, or am I misremembering? Either way, it would be very helpful to
have a proper discussion of e.g. the move away from visitors.

3. Re. the definition of a graph, there needs to be a proper discussion
about whether the paper's definition of graph is what some authors call a
multigraph and whether it does/does not include loops. These things are
mentioned, in passing, when introducing algorithms, but terminology needs
to be properly established.

4. I think we're trying to do too much in one go in this paper. I think a
great first step would be to build on mdspan and try to standardize (or at
least understand) what might reasonably be called an unstructured span.
This could be represented as a vector of vectors or as a vector with some
auxiliary storage indicating where the partitions fall. The point is that
an unstructured span, with the right invariants, is an adjacency list. If
we can understand unstructured span and its desirable api, I think this
will be incredibly valuable guidance for what a standardized graph
container might look like.

5. IIUC, this paper excludes pure connectivity graphs. These are incredibly
helpful and, if I've understood correctly that they are not supported,
would be a major omission. Another good reason, imo, to start with
unstructured span!

6. I'm not convinced by the load api. We don't have a load api for vector
etc. Moreover, would it not be preferable to have appropriate constructors?

I could probably go on but I think this is sufficient for now. Having
graphs and associated algorithms in the standard would be fantastic. But I
think we need to take a step back, involve people from the right
communities, and figure out how to do this step-by-step.

Oliver