Re: Memory Safety and Page Protected Memory

From: Robin Rowe <robin.rowe_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:51:20 -0800
> As far as C++ standard is concerned, this proposal would only make
sense if you mean protect access to memory assigned within the same
application from another section that has gone rogue.

Yes.

> most operating systems already protect access to memory assigned to
other applications

Yes, page protected memory is implemented using that same mechanism, but
within the same application. Overrunning a page protected buffer will
segfault similarly to accessing memory in a different app.

> Let's say you designate a piece of memory intended to store
passwords. How would you prevent the application from accessing it when
in parts "when the access is illegitimate"

Like this...

void password_check()
{ char username[20];
 char password[20];
 char* page_protected_password = (char*) memory_safe_alloc(20);
 get_user(username);
 get_pass(password);
 do_something_stupid(username);
}

void do_something_stupid(char* username)
{ // not this obvious, but code in this function does:
 char* password = username+20;// uh, oh!
}

The page_protected_password is in its own bubble. A programmer can't
land in the page_protected_password buffer by overrunning some nearby
pointer like username. Nor can the programmer overrun the
page_protected_password buffer without a segfault or signal triggered.

You are right if thinking that get_pass(page_protected_password), or any
function passed that pointer, may do whatever it likes with
page_protected_password. Being memory safe gives protection from buffer
overruns, doesn't mean error-proof.

Thoughts?

Robin Rowe
Beverly Hills, California
*Chairman ISO WG21 SG14 C++ Banking and Financial Systems Subcommittee