Re: Prospective Progress Report: A paper with no name, but still

From: Matt Bentley <mattreecebentley_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 11:28:38 +1200
Thanks Patrice -

a few minor comments, overall it looks great.

"Many have reported that design styles tend to change (monadic
programming, functional programming, lazy execution) making it harder to
grasp what’s going on from the source code (it’s « more magic »)"

This line is unclear - do they mean design styles of the std:: library
(eg. switching to ranges etc)? And what is the meaning of the <<more
magic>> line?

"Call stacks that are too deep make debugging harder" - a note here
regarding what makes them deep eg. heavy templating, ranges, might be useful

"SOO-Enabled vector" & "InplaceContainer<Size> Inheriting from Container
Pattern" - check with Zach Laine for static_vector (now "inplace_vector"
I think)

"Move semantics are perceived as important but too easy to misuse " - I
think this comes under QOI, so, really down to people to report issues
to their compiler-of-choice.

The rest of it looks good, I think a SG14 meeting would be the right
place to cull the number of requests down to a manageable (and
actionable) number and to disqualify examples which are more QOI. Would
be good to have Guy Davidson present as a senior member of gamedev to
provide feedback.

Cheers-