On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 9:03 PM <Aleksej.Penkov@bmw.de> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the explanation.

I thought that if this email pre-discussion vetoes the idea, then it makes no sense to go to drafting it etc.

But if it’s not like that, I can start preparing a draft.

std-proposals can't veto anything, it's just here to give constructive feedback and ideas.  If you still think the feature is a good idea for C++, then I encourage you to proceed with a paper.

Regards,

Aleksej Penkov

From: Andrew Tomazos <andrewtomazos@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 09:55
To: std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org
Cc: Penkov Aleksej, JC-6 <Aleksej.Penkov@bmw.de>
Subject: Re: [std-proposals] A proposal on default enum initialization

Sent from outside the BMW organization - be CAUTIOUS, particularly with links and attachments.

Absender außerhalb der BMW Organisation - Bitte VORSICHT beim Öffnen von Links und Anhängen.

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 6:49 PM Aleksej Penkov via Std-Proposals <std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

Thanks a lot for the discussion and your comments.

So am I right with the understanding that the idea is a ‘no-go’?

That's not how the process works.  You need to write a formal proposal.  See https://www.stroustrup.com/how-to-write-a-proposal.pdf

You (or a champion) then need to present the formal proposal to WG21 at a meeting, likely the EWGI subgroup which deals initially with language extensions.  They will then discuss it and take a vote whether they want to consider working on it.

I'd start by writing a draft of the formal proposal and then posting the draft document to std-proposals.  We can let you know the next step once this is done.  For examples of other proposals see https://wg21.link/index.html