On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 10:57 PM Tony V E <tvaneerd@gmail.com> wrote:

Please include motivating examples.

Preferably a table of examples, with C++20 code on the left that attempts to do something in the best C++20 possible way, and *better* code on the right that uses your feature.

And the code on the right is doing the same thing the code on the left is trying to do.
(if that wasn't obvious)

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM connor horman via Std-Proposals <std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
I've done some work on this, and wrote a draft paper <https://github.com/chorman0773/CXX-Papers/blob/master/std_error_function.md>.
I am interested in any feedback.
I decided on a similar function, std::compiler_error, which has the same compile time behavior, but its UB at runtime. This would allow users to write std::error, with whatever runtime behavior they wish.
I would be interested in any feedback people have, both on the semantics, and in the structure of the paper itself.
Thank you to the great people on the std-proposals mailing list.

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 11:07, connor horman <chorman64@gmail.com> wrote:
constinit won't downgrade (as the standard requires a constant expression initializer). I did forget about that.

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 10:13, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals <std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On Friday, 6 March 2020 06:46:56 PST connor horman via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Currently it is not possible to implement std::error in a way that it will
> work with initializing non-constexpr variables. Throwing an exception
> simply downgrades to runtime, only erroring if the result is needed at
> compile time.

Does that also apply to constinit variables?

Be seeing you,
Tony

--
Be seeing you,