On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:00 AM Olaf van der Spek via Std-Proposals <std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:12 AM Михаил Найденов via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
> For C++ the value is indeed possibly negative, as this will literally promote using raw pointers because their special properties.
>
> we try to promote
>
> something(const object& o);
> instead of
> something(const object* o);

Wouldn't a better solution be for C to adopt references?

Not really, because to pass the first one you'd have to have an instance defined on the stack, and couldn't use a pool of objects; perhaps that object has a complex construction....
You can't save a reference for later.. struct { int &a; }s;

references project data from 'here' to 'there', I really just want to work with data where it is; (probably 'there' because the caller didn't directly create it).