Thank you for the feedback.

The main question to answer is why do we need to hide / restrict access to template parameters from outside at all?
Here is a toy example of what I meant when I said that it had been possible for external code to deduce any template parameters (type as well as non-type ones) of any template instantiation.

So, if you think, by trying to "hide" / make template arguments private / not-visible from outside, you are suggesting to break this (already existing) behaviour in C++.

To put it another way, the proposal does not change anything fundamentally in this regard, instead, perhaps, it makes the trick from the toy example less obscure and verbose.

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 00:54, Miguel Ojeda via Std-Proposals <std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 1:09 AM Sebastian Büttner via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

> I don't think that the meaning is consistent here. Declaring something private isn't the same as not declaring it at all.
>
> Also: how is declaring a template parameter private/public affecting inheritance? Is the behavior consistent with class member access control? Is a private declared template parameter of class B not accessible in a derived class D? Can I declare a template parameter protected then?
>
> template<public class first_param, private class second_param>

No need for double keyword:

    template <public A, protected B, private C, class D>

where A/B/C are declared and D is not declared at all, as usual.

For NTTPs, not sure if the grammar is ambiguous or not, though; but it
would look clean too, e.g.:

    template <public size_t max_size>

If there is ambiguity, there is always the classic way as fallback.

Cheers,
Miguel

Dmitry
Sent from gmail