On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 5:11 PM language.lawyer--- via Std-Proposals <std-proposals@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
On 20/08/2019 00:37, Brian Bi wrote:

>>> An array of unsigned char or std::byte can have an object of some other
>>> type nested within it, so the array's lifetime is not ended.
>>
>> Right, but I wrote that the lifetimes of the array *elements* would end.
>> There is no "nested within" relation between the elements and an object
>> which is placed over them.
>>

> [intro.object]/3
> If a complete object is created ([expr.new]
> <http://eel.is/c++draft/expr.new>) in storage associated with another
> object e of type “array of N unsigned char” or of type “array of N std::byte”
> ([cstddef.syn] <http://eel.is/c++draft/cstddef.syn>), that array *provides
> storage* <http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.memobj#def:provides_storage> for the
> created object if: ...
>
> [intro.object]/4
> An object a is *nested within*
> <http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.memobj#def:nested_within> another object b if:
> *...* or b provides storage for a, or ...
>

> [basic.life]/1
> The lifetime of an object o of type T ends when: ... the storage which the
> object occupies is released, or is reused by an object that is not nested
> within o ([intro.object] <http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.memobj#intro.object>)
> . <http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.memobj#basic.life-1.sentence-4>

Again: the lifetime of the array won't end, but the lifetime of its *elements*, covered by a newly created object, will.
If, say, an `int` object `i` is created at the beginning of an `unsigned char` array `a`, which one nested within the other: `i` or `a[0]`?
Neither is.

Sorry, my fault for not understanding what you wrote previously. But are you sure this interpretation is sensible? I think it's impossible to say that the lifetime of an array does not end while the lifetimes of its elements end. Anyway, you might be right (at least, your interpretation does line up with what the text says). So, that would mean two std::bless calls would be needed. Lovely!

>> well
>>>>

>>> Indeed. On one hand, one could conclude that people who want to access
>>> object representations should just suck it up. On the other hand, one
>> could
>>> observe that the current C++ memory and object model results in a lot of
>>> pre-C++17 code being broken, and conclude that it should be revised.
>>>
>>> Besides, even if you think that no one should ever try to access object
>>> representations of anything much more complicated than a struct with a
>>> bunch of ints in it, do you think it is reasonable to limit typical usage
>>> of offsetof to such types as well? If I have a pointer to a member of
>> some
>>> class that is standard-layout but not implicit-lifetime, should there not
>>> be a way for me to get a pointer to the enclosing class using pointer
>>> arithmetic? Are you comfortable with letting all the existing code of
>> this
>>> form, written before C++17, continue to be broken? What did we gain from
>>> the C++17 changes that was so beneficial that it justified *silently
>>> breaking* said code? What about the fact that the migration effort for
>> such
>>> code can be significant (given, as I've pointed out, the inadequacies of
>>> the proposed std::bless solution)?
>>
>> Isn't offsetof usually used in some low-level code which typically also
>> breaks the strict aliasing rule?
>> There are compiler flags making the later behavior defined.
>> It is not forbidden for implementations to define behavior which the
>> standard does not define.
>>

> I don't see why that is necessarily the case. It could, for example, be
> used to allow a user to remove an object from a node-based container given
> a pointer to the object. There's no reason why such code should have to
> depend on special flags to make strict aliasing violations well-defined.
> Oh, sure, you can rewrite the container so that its API is based on
> iterators instead, to avoid this problem---and, of course, you'll also have
> to rewrite ALL the code that uses it. As I said, the migration effort is
> "significant".

I do not think that a lot of developers started to rewrite their code because its behavior became undefined in C++17.

Exactly - that means it's still undefined. As I said in one of my earlier messages, it is undesirable to change the standard in a way that breaks lots of code which people will then not rewrite, as this erodes the legitimacy of the standard (and leaves users uncertain about what might get trampled by their compiler optimizers the next time they update.) Yet that's exactly what happened in C++17, and we should fix that.

(I'd say it always was undefined)

CWG thought it was well-defined in 2011. Now, you can say that even then the wording made it undefined, but if the wording contradicted all of (a) the committee's intent, (b) the common understanding of C++ programmers, and (c) the rules of C++ that compiler authors implicitly targeted... then that just means the wording was defective at that point (the point of view that I advocate).

>>> Is that really your only objection? Presumably, it would be possible to
>>> word the changes to the standard in a way that would avoid this. The
>> point
>>> is that existing code relies on being able to do pointer arithmetic on
>>> memory that various types of objects occupy *as though* an array of
>> unsigned
>>> char objects existed there. We don't have to say that there are actual
>>> objects. Given the way pointers work in C++17, I think this would
>> require a
>>> lot of wording, but I think I've already stated enough times how the
>>> alternative of doing nothing leaves a lot of code broken.
>>
>> I don't know the solution for this problem :/
>>

> I don't know the solution either, but I felt it was important to point out
> how "just use std::bless" is not a solution.
> It's good that we're at least talking about the OP's proposal (although I
> can't access it right now... what happened to the github link?)

The current version is https://github.com/18/accessing-object-representations/blob/master/P1839R1.md, the original paper was renamed to ...R0.md

Brian Bi