Re: [std-proposals] A draft for a std::arguments proposal

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 09:08:08 +0300
On Wed, 16 Oct 2024 at 07:55, Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 October 2024 21:41:56 GMT-7 Tiago Freire wrote:
> > > Well, then the rest of my email applies: what's the path toward making it
> > > modifiable?
> > Is there anything stopping you from making a copy?
>
> A copy of what? You didn't provide a way to create a std::arguments or
> arguments_view from existing a string array in your paper. That would still be
> sub-optimal, because we'd have to document:
>
> "Do not EVER use std:arguments(). Instead, use
> QCoreApplication::arguments_view(), which has the same interface but is
> correct."
> (becausw QCoreApplication::arguments() is already taken)

Well, not quite. We would say "Do not use std::arguments() if you want
Qt's help in command line processing.
Use QCoreApplication::arguments_view(), from which the framework
arguments have already been filtered out of."

And that's fine. Programs using Qt (perhaps indirectly) that want to
get the full cmdline args can do so. Programs that want to get the
non-framework arguments can do so. Qt doesn't need to impose the
framework-argument-filtering on all code. So,
we do *not* _need_ to modify std::arguments() in Qt.