Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 21:16:40 -0700
On Tuesday 27 August 2024 20:47:25 GMT-7 Tiago Freire via Std-Proposals wrote:
> But here's the thing, if it's a third-party content you really can't tell
> them you can't use pragma once anyways. It's code that already exists using
> a feature that already exists. Making pragma once part of the standard
> won't change this dynamic.

You can write a bug report to them and let them know that their content
doesn't work for you. It doesn't matter whether it's a design flaw in the
feature or a plain bug in the compiler: the fact is that it doesn't properly
work. And the fact that they are using a non-standard extension also gives
more weight.

They may not act on it. At that point, the user can choose to either patch to
fix (and possibly contribute the fix) or use another library. The latter is
"vote with your wallet".

> If you already have it, I assume it must work for you already, of it
> doesn't, do you actually have something that we should be concerned about?
> You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It doesn't work. The point was about adding a new third-party library whose
content and features looked interesting.

How many times have we found such a library, but on second inspection it
doesn't compile, or doesn't work as advertised, or doesn't support the
platforms we need to target, or isn't maintained, or uses a licence that is
incompatible with the project?

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering