Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

From: Jeremy Rifkin <rifkin.jer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 13:35:09 -0500
> Yes, it does. It makes the behavior different from what is expected by
majority of users. And is prone to subtle errors, if different headers
happen to match in contents.

The current behavior expected by the majority of users is hard to argue
about because the semantics aren’t spelled out anywhere and every
implementation does it differently. #pragma once represents the loose
concept of single inclusion, and the semantics proposed here are not prone
to the subtle errors of mtimes happening to match, symbolic or hard links
not being handled well, certain filesystem mount behavior, or multiple
copies of the same header being unintentionally included more than once
(e.g. if a library header is copied around).

There are few to no cases where you would want to include a file with the
same exact contents with #pragma once multiple times. The only case
presented here has to do with including a header of only macros then
undefining everything then redefining. Such use probably shouldn’t be using
an include guard in the first place and it’s important to note that
traditional include guards might cause problems there too.

Jeremy