Re: [std-proposals] Second draft of a __COUNTER__ proposal

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 11:24:59 -0700
On Monday 26 August 2024 11:08:48 GMT-7 Jeremy Rifkin via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > Is overflow anything that happens in reality, ever?
>
> Not that I know of, but I will ask some folks I know who spend more
> time stress testing the preprocessor than I. I agree that __COUNTER__
> overflow should basically never happen and if it did it would be the
> least of your problems.

Because it is the preprocessor, it's not that difficult to trigger it.

- A.h has 2048 uses of __COUNTER__ and no #include guard
- B.h includes A.h 2048 times
- C.cpp includes B.h 1024 times

This is unlikely, but not impossible.

It's also easily fixed by saying the counter is an intmax_t.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering