Re: [std-proposals] __COUNTER__

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 11:26:25 -0700
On Saturday 24 August 2024 09:52:51 GMT-7 Jeremy Rifkin via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> Some of the benefit of standardizing __COUNTER__ is that it's an
> opportunity to make existing widespread use more well-formed. I'm sure
> there are plenty of inadvertent ODR violations today as a result of
> __COUNTER__. Would changing ODR from requiring the same token sequence
> to requiring the same observable behavior be too radical?
> Alternatively, maybe identifiers could be allowed to differ?

If you're trying to standardise an already-deployed extension, and especially
when using it literally, any deviations from what's deployed must be informed
by known problems already encountered and there must be an analysis of what
will change to existing programs.

So you tell us. Why do you want there to be any change at all, what problems
would it solve, and what other problems would it solve?

If there is no problem to solve or if there are more issues created by
changing than not, then standardise exactly as it is right now.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering