Re: [std-proposals] __COUNTER__

From: Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2024 19:05:21 +0200
On 22/08/2024 16.38, Jeremy Rifkin via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Hello,
> I've drafted a proposal to standardize __COUNTER__: https://jeremy-rifkin.github.io/cpp-proposals/drafts/counter_initial_draft.html <https://jeremy-rifkin.github.io/cpp-proposals/drafts/counter_initial_draft.html>.

Standardizing existing practice is certainly an acceptable way for WG21
to operate. The paper shows the existing practice and the ODR trap,
as well as a broad array of real-world examples.

Is "integer literal" what you want to say here (it might contain
digit separators, which is unhelpful)?
Maybe "/decimal-literal/ consisting exclusively of /digit/s?"
(In former times, one could say "comprising", but that word is
tainted these days.)

I agree that an error is preferable over wrap-around.

Otherwise, ship it.

(EWG might still think a new preprocessor facility isn't worth having,
but you can't find out until they have a paper in front of them.)

Jens