Re: [std-proposals] Extend std::type_info with more information

From: Mihail Mihaylov <mihail.mihailov_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:12:00 +0300
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 4:48 PM Jason McKesson via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> For places where what the OP is trying to do makes any kind of sense,
> I feel like storing a polymorphic<B> inside the any is the right way
> to go. The receiving code knows to expect a polymorphic value of a
> particular base class, and the sending code is obligated to use that
> kind of object.

Consider a class hierarchy of five classes:

class A {};
class B : public A {};
class C: public B {};
class D : public A {}
class E : public B {}

and three functions:

void foo(A&); // Knows how to handle all As
void bar(B&); // Knows how handle all Bs, but doesn't know how to handle Ds
void baz(C&); // Knows how to handle all Cs, but doesn't know how to handle
Es

I hope we can all agree that it would be bad practice for the authors of
bar() and baz() to change them to take A& and then dynamic_cast the input
to B& and C& respectively.

Then why would it be good practice, if we transform these functions to take
in an any* or any&, to force them to perform a widening any_cast to
polymorphic_value<A> followed by a dynamic_cast<B&> or dynamic_cast<C&>
respectively?

--
This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for