Re: [std-proposals] Extend std::type_info with more information

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 08:45:17 -0500
On Monday 8 April 2024 05:00:50 CDT Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-
Proposals wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 4:04 AM Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > That section starts with "There has been recent discussion about making
> > major additions to" but doesn't link to papers or committee minutes where
> > said discussion happened. Therefore, I am discounting it as "it never
> > happened".
> Arthur brought it up in a post a few weeks ago here. Do I have to
> prove Arthur's existence?

No. I think it would be acceptable to link to blog posts by respected
luminaries, or some of the maintainers of relevant libraries who've voiced
opinions. But discussions on a mailing list, even this one, don't really count
if there's no obvious conclusion, and the vast majority of mailing list
discussions sputter out without one.

Either way, you need to provide references.

> When it comes to Microsoft . . . I've had a look through their header
> file for 'type_info' but it calls proprietary functions found in
> "vcruntime140.dll". There's a guy in Microsoft named Raymond Chen who
> writes a blog (OldNewThing) about stuff along these lines, so just now
> I sent him an email asking if he'd reveal what Microsoft have inside
> the type_info. If he doesn't reply then I'll keep playing around
> incrementing and decrementing through a std::type_info, dereferencing
> what might look like a memory address, then increment / decrement /
> dereference til I find something.

It's easier to get the typeinfos for different types and see what the compiler
generates.

   Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Cloud Engineering