Re: [std-proposals] String Slicing Draft Proposal

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:55:39 -0300
For what it's worth, I strongly disagree with "s[i, j] seems actively bad".
I think the level of confusion with this syntax will be minimal. I would be
very surprised if developers try to "multi-index" into a string (which
doesn't even make sense) and are surprised that it doesn't work.

Several operations in C++ have the same syntax and slightly different
meanings. And several operations have drastically different meaning (like
operator * and multiplication).
Another example is operator/ for std::filesystem::path. I don't recall
seeing angry developers complaining that / is not dividing their path but
appending.
It's all about the context.

Best Regards,
Breno G.