Re: [std-proposals] String Slicing Draft Proposal

From: Rhidian De Wit <rhidiandewit_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:04:04 +0100
I agree that it might be confusing for use-cases to diversify, but that is
the nature of strings, and I think ease-of-use with strings is more
important than being in-line with matrices, especially since the two are
not related.

In the attachment you may find the updated proposal.

Sincerely,

Op ma 18 mrt 2024 om 16:00 schreef Jonathan Wakely via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]>:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 at 14:21, Breno GuimarĂ£es via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > What do you mean by "However it would be further from 2-dimensional
> arrays." ? I mean, do we want it to be closer to 2-dimensional arrays?
>
> I assume the suggestion is that it would be confusing for matrix[x,y]
> to return an element of the matrix, but str[i,j] to return a slice of
> the string. It would be using the same syntax for two different
> things.

Rhidian De Wit
Software Engineer - Barco