Re: [std-proposals] constexpr support in std::filesystem API

From: Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:23:28 +0300
On 3/12/24 14:42, Marcin Jaczewski via Std-Proposals wrote:
> If it would be allowed then it should only be read-only access,
> allowing writing is only asking for problems (not reproducible builds
> and even worse exploits and hacks).
>
> Not to mention that now we will have `#embed` that allows reading files.

This would mean that compilation result would depend on the state of the
filesystem. And, potentially, the availability of system resources (e.g.
file descriptors) during compilation.

Aside from the obvious issues with reproducible builds, I think this
contradicts the whole idea of constant expressions, which is that the
expressions, well, must be constant, i.e. produce the same result on
every compilation.