Re: [std-proposals] The Oxford variadic comma

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:52:05 -0500
On 3/1/24 6:43 AM, Jonathan Wakely via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 01:53, Zhihao Yuan via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 29th, 2024 at 10:48 AM, Tom Honermann via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> See also P0281R0 (Remove comma elision in variadic function declarations). EWG rejected the paper during the Jacksonville, 2016 meeting. There isn't much for meeting minutes. From what I recall, concerns were mostly about the potential to break existing code.
>>
>> My view: ship it.
>>
>> Tom.
>>
>> My view: ship it.
>>
>> And prove my stand-up outdated: https://youtu.be/PSvJ_j4rKOE
> I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys the hexadot.
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=libstdc%2B%2B-v3/include/bits/refwrap.h;h=2d4338b718fca19439223512fae2a131de0784ff;hb=HEAD#l140

Hmm, usage in a system header. And that isn't the only use.

https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=libstdc%2B%2B-v3/libsupc%2B%2B/new;h=8b07150fb94941bd29a334cfa178c922255ea394;hb=HEAD#l206
https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=libstdc%2B%2B-v3/include/tr1/type_traits;h=f5714b0032cc8015840a90a002911da62bc9dd27;hb=HEAD#l229

That last one is tr1, so I'm not sure it matters much. The paper should
probably note these uses. They probably don't affect deprecation since
deprecation warnings are typically suppressed for uses in system
headers, but they could be an issue for removal. This suggests getting
some implementation experience might be worthwhile as well (e.g., add a
warning to gcc, build it and libstc++, run the testsuite).

Tom.