Re: [std-proposals] [WIP Draft Proposal] Support for compiling libraries + linkage in the C++ Language

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 08:01:21 -0700
On Tuesday, 27 June 2023 02:52:07 PDT Timur Doumler via Std-Proposals wrote:
> This matches my experience. The vast majority of C++ developers I worked
> with throughout my career did not know about this stuff, and they did not
> need to know about this stuff in order to get their job done.

I will accept that my view was too narrow of the world, but I'll make one final
statement. I think I've sufficiently exposed my view of this subject.

The fact that they didn't know something does not mean they shouldn't have
known about it and if they had, they could have produced even better code.

I know a lot of developers who don't know anything about exceptions and for
the most part they can write really good C++ code. I know a lot who also know
little about threading and would be hard-pressed to write thread-safe code. I
believe that libraries belongs in that same category of general knowledge, as
opposed to niche knowledge like memory ordering or (to bring home to
libraries) the order in which libraries are loaded by the dynamic linker.