Re: [std-proposals] [WIP Draft Proposal] Support for compiling libraries + linkage in the C++ Language

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 12:23:08 -0700
On Monday, 26 June 2023 10:28:00 PDT Breno Guimarães via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > EVERY C++ programmer must know about them
>
> I disagree with this statement. I know many developers working with C++ for
> many many years who are working on the infrastructure that has been created
> and never had to deal with library/application/symbol visibility and so on.

I stand by my statement. I'd say there's over 90% chance that they are using
shared libraries or DLLs of some sort in that infrastructure and therefore
knowing about symbol visibility is knowledge that they should possess.

Either way, that doesn't change the conclusion: libraries exist and there's
reason to standardise existing practice, without detriment of the < 0.01% of
users who don't use libraries at all.