Re: [std-proposals] [WIP Draft Proposal] Support for compiling libraries + linkage in the C++ Language

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 09:32:37 -0700
On Sunday, 25 June 2023 21:30:18 PDT Julien Villemure-Fréchette via Std-
Proposals wrote:
> Now, in contrast, adding specification for translated translation units, or
> restricting, or prohibiting, or keeping status quo does not change behavior
> of conforming programs, and does not simply the mental model of the source
> code. In the opposite, now the specification will need to take into account
> entities other than TUs, that means a combinatorial number of clauses that
> mentions TU in the standard will need to be analysed to see how it can
> potentially interact with those new kinds of physical program fragments.
>
> So, what kind of problems are we interested in solving anyways with this?.

Start with the ability to export and import symbols to/from shared libraries /
DLLs. Like I said, there are two sets of well-known extensions and EVERY C++
programmer must know about them, whether they are creating a library or an
application. It's not an optional part of the C++ experience.

So it should be standardised.