Re: [std-proposals] D2879R0 Proposal of Pythonesque std::print extensions LIVE LINK

From: Andrew Tomazos <andrewtomazos_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 13:44:41 +1000
On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 1:37 PM Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 11:23 PM Andrew Tomazos <andrewtomazos_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> The community considers std::print a new and better replacement of
>> std::cout, not an addition.
>>

> Uh, one person isn't "the community."

At least two:

*Bryce Adelstein Lelbach πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦@blelbach*
*std::print is headed for C++23. std::cout is now a code smell.*

And I suspect many people will expect that std::print does something
similar to the other print functions in other languages.

Maybe if it had been called printfmt or something this misunderstanding
could have been avoided. Maybe that would have also left linguistic space
for my proposal as a separate overload set.