Re: [std-proposals] Allow comma at the end of a list of objects in a declaration or definition

From: David Brown <david_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 09:28:06 +0200
On 07/05/2023 19:15, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 6:04 PM Giuseppe D'Angelo via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> When you say "I propose", could you please attach an actual proposal,
>> not just ideas?
>

> I've been speaking English for a few decades now and I'm not about to
> change my understanding or use of the word 'proposal' because of what
> you just posted. I think you were looking for a noun such as
> 'document' or 'dossier' or 'manifesto', something along those lines. I
> can propose something to you without even speaking or using words, for
> example if I point at the kettle then that can be a proposal to have
> tea.

You've been subscribed to this mailing list for a good while now - have
you never noticed the /name/ of the list? "proposal" has a particular
meaning in this context. That trumps any standard English meanings of
the word (just as the C++ language and the C++ standards define terms so
that they have particular meanings in this context).

You might have been /speaking/ and /writing/ in English for decades, but
you could improve your /listening/ and /reading/ skills. People here
are clearly getting a little fed up with a continuous stream of
half-baked ideas based solely on your own personal preferences and
conveniences. If you want to post new suggestions (and no one requires
a proper proposal for the start of a discussion), at least give good
justification for why you think it is a good idea for a large number of
programmers, why you think it makes code significantly clearer, simpler,
more efficient, more expressive, or has other advantages. Also include
a discussion of the disadvantages, alternatives, and possible conflicts
with other aspects of C++.