Re: [std-proposals] New draft proposal: Add "%s" (two-digit truncated-integer seconds) as a std::format conversion specifier for std::chrono time types.

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 08:20:52 +0100
On Thu, 4 May 2023, 05:18 Simon Hill, <protogrammer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Is it actually truncated elsewhere, or is the resolution just in seconds
> anyway?
>
> Of my five examples, only the XFCE clock did not have sub-second format
> codes. The others all featured milliseconds, microseconds, and/or
> nanoseconds.
> Every example (other than C++'s std::chrono) I've seen where the time type
> is sub-second, the seconds formatter is still integer-truncated. I just
> looked at a few more, eg QT (
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qml-qtqml-qt.html#formatDateTime-method), which
> continue this pattern.
> GNOME clock (via GLib) even references strftime() but still has sub-second
> codes and truncated-integer seconds.

OK, you should definitely add that to the proposal then. That wasn't clear
at all, and makes a much stronger case.

I know, I wrote the GCC implementation you're using :-)

> I just compiled a test (via GCC, using "%S" but not "%s") on both my
> patched and non-patched chrono_io.h, and the output binaries are (according
> to diff -s) 100% identical.

That's not what I see. Comparing the assembly output for a simple function
that doesn't use %s and formats a compile-time constant, I see that the
assembly code generated by GCC is larger when the unused %s support is
present in the header. I expected to see a difference for formatting a
runtime function parameter, but I even see a difference when formatting a
constant. I might have messed up the test though.

> It does, however, use up a valuble conversion specifier character. But I'd
> argue that that applies more to "%t" and "%n".
> It also might slow down compilation by a few negligible nanoseconds.
>

> > Lastly, is there any hope for a proposal to add the ^^ operator?
>
> This would be a far more important proposal. I don't know if it's been
> proposed before (there's plenty of discussion about it, but I didn't find a
> proposal), but it would require a lot more work to implement, from
> preprocessors to parsers to optimizers. But the permanent effects are only
> positive AFAICImagine.
>
> Should I write it?

That should be a separate thread, and I only have an opinion on the library
proposal for std::format.