Re: [std-proposals] Slow bulky integer types (128-bit)

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 17:05:23 +0300
On Wed, 29 Mar 2023 at 13:05, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via
Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Should I make my programs future-proof today by preparing for the day
> when Pi is no longer an irrational number?
>
> I mean you're telling me that the Standard can redefine simple English
> terms, so if __uint128_t isn't an integer type, then I need to be
> weary about Pi's rationality. I mean if all sense can go out the

This has nothing to do with your subjective take on what makes sense and
what doesn't. Computers can only approximate pure math, because they have
finite representation bits, and they are also subject to other
trade-offs that aren't
purely mathematical, like compatibility issues. Somehow that has made sense
to quite many people over multiple decades.

> window like that, then maybe I should just get an abacus and a pencil
> and sod all this computer stuff.

While that idea sounds like one of the best suggested on this mailing
list for quite a while,
you're only going to disappoint yourself again - an abacus has a
finite amount of beads
so it'll run into similar limitations as a computer will, and won't
"make sense" to you.