Re: [std-proposals] Making contiguous objects

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:58:28 -0300
Hey folks,

Thanks for your inputs.
I think I might need another name then. I agree that "make" will give the
impression of something that is properly managed.

There are two reasons for avoiding RAII at this point:
1. As described here
https://github.com/brenoguim/make_contiguous_objects/blob/main/README.md#implicit-memory-layout
I don't expect users to actually store the return type very often because
it has redundant information. The whole point is to have something that is
suitable for container internals.
2. RAII can be later built on top of the raw facility.

A few ideas:
- new_contiguous_objects
- new_adjacent_objects
- new_arrays
- new_objects
- all above with "create_*" instead

>My "minor" nitpick — which is highly relevant to Jason's point — is that
your first section *should not use `auto s`*.

I avoided that in the initial example to highlight the "creation" part,
instead of the management. I talk about the return value later on. But I
agree the reader it might leave the reader confused.

Best Regards,
Breno G.