Re: [std-proposals] Make basic_string_view's range construction _conditionally_ explicit

From: Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 12:29:56 +0100
Il 27/01/23 13:50, Ville Voutilainen via Std-Proposals ha scritto:
>>> In Qt, the author implemented the same semantic change of P2499R0 for Qt’s string view classes.
>> That was your choice to "break" it in that way, copying std::string_view's constructor overload set isn't required ;-)
> Aye. I've been too astonished to comment on the review of that change,
> because I was stopped by "*WHY* are we copycatting
> that range constructor_at all_, let alone then having to tweak it???" :)

Well, some people have this terrible habit at looking at the Standard
for inspiration for their own APIs. There must be a good reason why the
Standard added the range constructor and made it explicit, right? ...
right? :-P

(For the record, Qt string view classes have had a "range" constructor
for quite some years.)

Thanks,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo_at_[hidden] | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts