Re: [std-proposals] Programmer's Control Over Pointer Convertibility

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 11:17:00 -0300
I guess it's useful to, at the very least, add the "what problems your
proposal solves". After all, why would anyone propose an addition to the
language that doesn't solve anything?

You can get clever with conversion operators and overloading of operator to
partially achieve this: https://godbolt.org/z/fdPxbcjrx
Of course, this doesn't solve the actual pointer convertibility, just the
obj to pointer part. But it would be possible to get more and more clever
about it. Like creating a "convertible_ptr" template that would allow
custom conversions.

But why though?

Breno G.