Re: [std-proposals] pass() replacement for: forward<>()

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 13:45:56 -0500
On 1/8/23 08:41, Guillaume Racicot via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Be mindful though that a prvalue is different from an xvalue. Copy
> elision and direct initialization cannot happen with calls to std::move,
> whereas it is permitted with prvalue. If you have a source to source
> compiler you will have to take that into account to not break code, and
> you will have to only generate std::move when the expression would be an
> lvalue.

Yeah I can do that as well, and it would convey with the C++ standards
better.

> Here's an example of a non-copiable non-movable type passed in parameter
> by value:
>
> void do_thing_with_mutex(std::mutex);
>
> do_thing_with_mutex(std::mutex{});
>
> If you call std::move on that prvalue, the code will be ill-formed since
> the compiler would be forced to call the move constructor.

Thanks for the head's up.

Logo <https://www.fornux.com/>
*Phil Bouchard*  facebook icon
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/phil-bouchard-5723a910/>
CTO
T: (819) 328-4743
E: phil_at_[hidden]| www.fornux.com <http://www.fornux.com>
8 rue de la Baie| Gatineau (Qc), J8T 3H3 Canada
Banner <https://goglobalawards.org/> Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les