Re: [std-proposals] Relocation in C++

From: Sébastien Bini <sebastien.bini_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:58:38 +0100
Hello again,

I briefly read through your comments and will answer tomorrow.

I just wanted to quickly share another approach on the ABI issue. I've
given a lot of thoughts in the last hours, and it's really headachy: I see
no satisfying solution if we put the opt-out attribute on the class /
relocation ctor level.

My suggestion is that declaring a relocation constructor is not enough to
trigger the ABI change. Instead, only if the type of the parameter is
relocate-only (no copy, no move ctor, only a reloc ctor) that the ABI is
enforced to be callee-destroy.

That way, there is simply no ABI break as there are no such types today.
And for the types that really need this feature (relocate-only types), then
it's guaranteed to be there. Also, we would no longer need the opt-out
attribute.

The only downside is that move instead of relocation will likely happen all
the time when reloc is used on a function parameter, with incompatible ABI.
But I doubt it would be a real problem, and removing the ABI dilemma will
surely help this proposal move forward.

Regards,
Sébastien