Re: [std-proposals] std::cbrt(std::complex)

From: Brian Bi <bbi5291_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:57:49 -0400
I feel that you didn't really address the point I raised.

If we had std::cbrt(z) for complex arguments alone, it would make sense to
define it as std::pow(z, 1.0/3.0). But the simultaneous presence of that
overload *and* the one for reals, such that the two do not agree when
restricted to the real line, that would likely cause great confusion to
programmers.

Another way of saying it is that there's a general design principle that if
you're going to have multiple overloads of a function, you shouldn't need
to know which one is going to get called in order to know that it's going
to do what you want. The proposal to add std::cbrt(std::complex<T> z) with
the semantics of std::pow(z, 1.0/3.0) violates that principle.

Sebastian's point (4a) would avoid this problem.

*Brian Bi*