Re: [std-proposals] std::cbrt(std::complex)

From: Jason C <jason.cipriani_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:36:21 -0400
What if it were to simply be implemented as pow(v,1/3), returning exactly
the same root? So at least it's consistent.

My primary goal isn't to provide mathematical robustness, it's to move
std::complex closer to a drop-in replacement for numeric types.

E.g.:
template <typename T> complex<T> cbrt (const complex<T> &v) { return pow(v,
1.0/3.0); }

The thing is, it doesn't really matter which of the three roots it returns,
the other two can always be computed. Just as swapping the sign of a square
root always yields the other one (regardless of the original sign),
rotating a cube root +/- 120 deg in the complex plane always yields the
other two. So the rest of the roots are still easily computable if the user
so desires, for example:

    using fp = double;
    using num = std::complex<fp>;

    // if we have any root
    const num root1 = std::cbrt(...);

    // we can compute the other two with rotations
    constexpr fp H = (fp)0.5, T = sqrt((fp)3) / (fp)2;
    const fp x = q1.real(), y = q1.imag();
    const num root2(-H*x+T*y, -T*x-H*y);
    const num root3(-H*x-T*y, T*x-H*y);

So it really doesn't matter which of the roots it returns (just like it
doesn't matter for sqrt), and if it's defined in terms of pow(), we don't
have to make any new decisions.

Does that redeem the idea?

Jason