Re: [std-proposals] Disable assignment to an rvalue

From: Peter Sommerlad (C++) <"Peter>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 13:38:32 +0200
FWIW, MISRA-C++ and me propose to define (copy/move) assignment
operators to be lvalue-ref-qualified, at least when you must define
those, because you are implementing a manager type. This is in line with
"when in doubt, do as the ints do" (Scott Meyers), because with the
fundamental types you cannot assign to an rvalue.

my classical example of leaking lvalue references is:

struct X{};

auto & dangle = (X{} = X{});

That we have unqualified member functions like front/back on containers
that could be called on rvalues and deliver lvalue references is a pity,
but that is something where changing the library to delete the
rvalue-qualified overload or make it return by value might be too much work.

But for my own types I'll follow the practice of ref-qualifying member
functions with side effects and returning references to guts accordingly.

I don't know yet, how that will change with deducing this in C++23.

Note, that I don't propose all overloads of any assignment operator to
be lvalue-ref-qualified, because a type might be defining a DSL where
such things might not have side effects or potentially return an lvalue
reference to an rvalue.

Regards
Peter.

--
Peter Sommerlad
Better Software: Consulting, Training, Reviews