Re: [std-proposals] Relocation in C++

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:34:46 +0100
On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 at 22:26, Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 at 15:35, Sébastien Bini <sebastien.bini_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 11:09 PM Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:

>>> Also, any issues caused by out-of-order destruction exist today for
>>> moving from those objects, for the most part.
>>>

>> Yes, I agree. I guess what worries me the most is incorrect uses of
>> std::decompose.
>>

>>> For case 2 (tuple protocol), there is a very visible effect in which

>>> On second thoughts, I don't think it should be ill-formed; it should
>>> just fall back to move, just as it would for a class that is movable but
>>> not relocatable. If the class is truly relocate-only, then it would be
>>> ill-formed.
>>>

>> It could act normally, simply changing the value-category, and ruling out
>> the relocation ctor during overload resolution. (Unless `x` is
>> ref-qualified, in which case it's equivalent to
>> `static_cast<decltype(x)>(x)`).
>> This is what we are doing when relocating a function parameter captured
>> by value, if the function ABI is caller-detroy.
>> In both cases it would be ill-formed for relocate-only types.
>>
>> Note that `auto reloc [x, y] = foo()` could also give the guarantee that
>> `x` and `y` are individual objects (would be ill-formed otherwise). Hence
>> C++ would not silently rule out the relocation ctor.
>> Not to say I am in favor of `auto reloc`, I think proper compiler error
>> messages can do the job of explaining why the relocation ctor was ruled out.

Another thought - if `std::decompose` checks for private access to classes
with their own SMFs (to guarantee that they have the right to bypass
invariants), then writing instead `auto [x, y] = std::decompose<&S::x,
&S::y>(foo());` will guarantee relocation at the cost of some extra
verbosity.

Instead, consider: `std::decompose` is accessing (on behalf of its caller)